Monday, December 21, 2009

Don’t Just Live Gluten Free, Love It



When I was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I had a lot of mixed emotions. It was scary to find out that gluten-based foods, which I’d been eating my entire life, were actually harming my body. And it felt isolating to learn I had a disease that a lot of people don’t even know exists, let alone understand. But most of all it felt unfair – why should I have to give up my favorite foods while everyone else gets to eat whatever they want?

These emotions are all common among the recently diagnosed, but as I came to accept my disease, I actually started to feel thankful. CD does require a complete diet overhaul, but when you think about it, choosing gluten free snacks is a lot simpler and safer than the treatment plans for many other diseases.

As a CD patient, I don’t have to take any regular medication, which means my life is free of frustrating side effects and the monthly cost of prescriptions. And gluten is a non-essential protein in the human diet, meaning that even if I occasionally miss some of my old favorite foods, my body doesn’t.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Gluten Free Blog Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice | This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Ajax Union Internet Marketing